gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: heavy X-Error

Andreas bluehat at gmx.at
Sun Apr 18 15:37:05 UTC 2004

Hello,

last days I'm playing around on my box (trying out synaptic and grading
up by clicking the 'intelligent update'-button) I've trouble on startup
with  X.

I'm getting the following Error-Msg in the Systemlog 7 times:

gdm_slave_xierror_handler: heavy X-error -:starting 0 new

and a little bit later:

Display: 0 is'nt free. There is running another X-Server
Display: 1 is'nt free. There is running another X-Server
Display: 2 is'nt free. There is running another X-Server

For the user (me) it's shown the x-Startup-Screen is going on and off.

Changing to a Screen using <strg><alt><f6> and logging in as root and
running 'startx' helps to workaround the problem above.

Could anyone tell me whats happen.

Many thanks in advance!

Andreas