cdrecord / readcd problem

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 23:27:44 UTC 2004

>From: Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
>
>duncan brown wrote:
>>John Walsh said:
>>
>>>1) pure audio CD, paranoia on = OK
>>>
>>>2) pure audio CD, paranoia off = bad
>>>
>>>3,4) mixed audio/data CD, paranoia on/off = bad - it tries to read the
>>>data  track first and fails,
>>>and I think it used to work under RH9.
>>>
>>>The only other thing is that the audio reading is very slow, reading at
>>>1x.  I don't remember
>>>it being super fast before, I thought it was faster, but it could just
>>>be  the same speed.
>>>
>>>Under RH9, I didn't use paranoia mode, but at least now I can read audio
>>>CD's again.
>>

>>so, it looks like you're just trying to rip an audio cd?  why not use
>>grip?    or sound juicer?  i have my own shell script that does quite a
>>bit of fun stuff at http://www.linuxadvocate.net/cd2ogg which does as it's
>>name says.  (version i'm working on now uses zenity under gnome, if you
>>want it)
>>
>>-d
>
>I didn't pay any attention to this thread until I tried to rip a CD this
>morning with grip and it more or less became stuck (very very very slow -
>grip displayed X0.0 for speed.) on the last three tracks.  It turned out
>that there was a small scratch on the CD.  It plays okay in a CD player.
>
>The gnome-CD wouldn't play the last three tracks.
>
>All other tracks worked okay.
>
>Could it be a possible problem with the CD that is having problems in the
>computer?

For me, no, the CD's are fine, no scratches...

I just tried 'grip' and could not get it to see a CD in the drive - it
would not even eject the draw ?

--

What my posting is trying to say is - is there a problem in 'readcd' ?

I believe this is what x-cd-roast is using to RIP the CD when not in
paranoia mode.

When it uses 'cdparanoia', all is well (but slower than I would expect).

John.