HaM Modem 5628D-L .B Chipset

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Mon Apr 19 03:04:27 UTC 2004

The intel driver compiled fine.  However, with minicom it would not
work.

I installed the linuxant driver and all is well.

On my HP laptop, lspci showed:
00:08.0 Modem: ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]

After viewing this info, I went to the intel site and downloaded the
ham modem driver which it said is for this particular modem on the
intel site according to the 537 and M5457 numbers in the lspci output.

Changing init strings, etc would not get the modem working with this
so-called ham modem driver.

I am still unsure what modem I have or what chip it contains.  What I
thought to be an Intel modem did not work with the free intel driver
for this modem, so I decided to try my luck and install the linuxant
HSF driver binary and it worked.

Am I mistaken about this modem being an intel modem and thinking it
would work with the specified free intel driver?  What does M5457
AC-Link modem mean?

I also realized this user had a different modem then I... and stated
that in my post.  "i'm not sure what type of modem you have"
meaning I'm not sure if your modem is supported by the linuxant
driver.

The Linuxant driver supports several win or softmodems.  As for the
intel driver, I am pretty sure my modem was listed and I downloaded
the correct driver, but I could not get it to work.

jay