cups : unable to create temporary file: No such file or directory

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Mon Apr 19 07:12:41 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I've been having problems on a Fedora machine printing on a shared cups
Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer. First of all, the configuration on the
server has no problems (none that I know of). I can print from my laptop
right now running Fedora, and I can print from Windows machines as well,
all using IPP.

On this single Fedora machine, I cannot print. I've stopped the cups
daemon, edited and removed all printer entries on /etc/cups/cupsd.conf,
and all other files. And then started up /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups.

When I run redhat-config-printer, it automatically Browses and shows the
shared cups printer. So I apply the settings. Then I try and print. When
I try to print, the description of the printer becomes

"unable to create temporary file: No such file or directory"

and this shows up in /var/log/cups/error_log as well.

Is this a permission problem? No other configuration has been changed on
the computer since Friday afternoon. In fact, it hasn't been used since
Friday afternoon, and has been off over the weekend.

Any hint on how to solve this would be great. If you guys need some
configuration files, let me know. But the configuration of cups is
basically from default.

Thanks in advance!

dex