user with root priviledge

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Mon Apr 19 08:00:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 01:43, boby wrote:
> Hello
>
> how can i create a user with priviledge rot.
> i know that i can add the user to the root group .
> but even when i add the user to root group it can not
> be the same as root . system always ask me to enter
> root password to chang some thing .
> i want some thing exactly like root.
>
> thanks to all

Learn into sudo. When you type, as root, "visudo". there is a commented
out entry for "%wheel", specifically:

# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

Uncomment that. Then type, as root, "vigr". Add to the "wheel" group
whoever users you want, separated by a comma, like:

wheel:x:10:root,thepoch

Now, when you want to run commands, example yum updates, just go:

sudo yum update

or if you want to run commands not in your path (ie stuff in sbin/):

sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate time.nist.gov

Warning... this is basically giving root access to whoever you add to
the wheel group. Nope they won't have to type the root password anymore.
It might be somewhat different from what you are asking, or it might
not.

Hope this helps!

dex