user with root priviledge

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:12:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, jludwig wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 14:48, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am So, den 18.04.2004 schrieb boby um 19:43:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > how can i create a user with priviledge rot.
> > > i know that i can add the user to the root group .
> > > but even when i add the user to root group it can not
> > > be the same as root . system always ask me to enter
> > > root password to chang some thing .
> > > i want some thing exactly like root.
> >
> > That is a very very bad idea at all! Never ever create a user with root
> > privileges for the daily work. Else go back and use Win98 :( Seriously,
> > devide normal user and root!

Let me pose a situation where having multiple root-capable accounts makes
sense, and let me ask: What's the best way to acomplish this?

We have several Linux workstations and laptops.  Each user can have root
on his own machine, but we don't want a user to have root on any other
machine.  We have a department administrator who needs root on all
machines, but he doens't want to have to remember individual root
passwords on all the machines.

Our Windows solution is to create two administrator-capable accounts.  How
can we best do the same with Linux machines?

> > > the other thing is i up2dated my computer with root
> > > login but when one of my colleage enter to the same
> > > computer with his login name up2date is red and i
> > > should up2date it again,however i can not uptodate
> > > because i am not a root ...... is fedora kepp track of
> > > their clients by the name of user ? because it can not
> > > understand that user is in the same computer i have
> > > upgraded already .
> >
> > Maybe the up2date with the colleague's account is not configured yet.

Or the colleague logging in triggered a check for updates.  Generally,
update checking is done at some hard-coded (long) interval.  And I don't
always find that the checking is done reliably (in that I see a blue check
long after updates are announced, and forcing a manual check turns the
icon red).

> > > thanks to all
> >
> > Alexander
> Sorry for a small inconvenience having to type a few keystrokes.
>
> BUT
>
> As regular user you don't have enough privileges to destroy the system.
> Abrogating root privileges at best is unwise and foolhardy.

abrogate (v.t.): To abolish, do away with, or annul, especially by
authority.

Was that what you meant?

--
		Matthew Saltzman