Fedora Core 1 post install - sound card test freezes the machine

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 19 14:31:38 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 19.04.2004 schrieb Michael Mayhew um 15:08:

> Howdy,
>
> First and foremost, the dirty details:
> Athlon XP 1700+ processor at 1.1Ghz
> 256 MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
> Soyo K6VB (I think) Dragon motherboard
> Creative SoundBlaster Live! sound card
> OnBoard C-Media 6 channel sound
>
> Alrighty. I just finished installing Fedora Core 1 but not after some heavy
> velvet handling of my machine, particularly in the sound department. I had
> had the onboard sound disabled before the first time I installed and in the
> post installation the SoundBlaster Live! card was detected with the emu101k
> driver designated as the proper driver. But when I went to test the sound
> card, (pressed the Play Sound/Test button) not only was no sound played but
> the system froze and I had to reinstall. I have googled for this topic and
> am turning up little in terms of similarity of my problem to those of other
> users. I have posted and am awaiting a response to a thread on the Fedora
> list with this same information. I am most frustrated because one of the
> only things holding me back from making a FULL transition to Linux is my
> ability to listen to music on my desktop. Thanks in advance for any and all
> assistance. I greatly appreciate it (and the Linux support community, in
> general).
>
> Thanks,
> plainmedici

The Soundblaster card should be no problem. It is supported both by OSS
and by ALSA. Fedora Core 1 comes with OSS, while you can switch to ALSA
using packages from Fedora Extras (fedora.us).

To your problem: be sure you certainly deactivated the onboard sound in
motherboard BIOS. Be also sure that motherboard BIOS option "PnP OS" is
set to no. Freezing your machine in most every case is a hardware
problem. you may try and change the slot in which the Soundblaster card
is. Have a look at the IRQ used by the system by running "cat
/proc/interrupts".

What I did not understand in your mail was the fact, that after system
freeze after starting to play sound you not only rebooted your system
but you "needed" to reinstall the whole system. That is most curious.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 16:26:17 up 23:12, 10 users, 0.26, 0.33, 0.22
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]