delete ~ directory

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Mon Apr 19 15:09:32 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 19.04.2004 schrieb Vano Beridze um 09:17:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>I've accidentally (from a java program) created a directory named ~ in
>>my home directory.
>>Because ~ is a synonim for a home directory how can I delete this
>>directory safely?
>>I mean I don't want to delete my whole home directory just that wierd
>
> one.
>
>>Thank you
>>Vano
>

> Besides the other suggestions, as a general annotation too, on bash you
> can use
>
> command -- special_sign_name
>
> The leading "--" tells the shell that the following is no options set.
> So in your case it would be while you are in the directory where the
> miscreated directory is placed
>
> rm -rf -- ~
>
> You can use this too if you accidentally created i.e. a file named "-f"
>
> rm -f    will not work, but
> rm -- -f will do.
>
> Alexander

No.  "rm -rf -- ~" absolutely WILL expand the ~ and remove your home directory!
  The expansion of "~" is done by bash, not the rm command.  The -- only tells
rm not to treat what follows as an option; it does not tell bash not to expand
"~".  I would hope that you would test before posting such inaccurate and
dangerous advice.