up2date constantly freezes

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 19 21:43:09 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 19.04.2004 schrieb VB um 23:32:

> Everytime I try to update main XFree-86 packages
> (XFree86, XFree86-libs, etc.) up2date just freezes
> after the "Progress Dialog" box saying "Testing
> package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies".
> Command-line gives:

Better update XFree86 only in runlevel 3: init 3.

> Testing package set / solving RPM
> inter-dependencies...
> Traceback (most recent call last):

>     raise ValueError, "CRC check failed"
> ValueError: CRC check failed

I highly suspect you use the Redhat main server. That is bad. Please
read i.e.

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/

on how to set up mirror server usage.

> I see that others have had similar problems with
> up2date freezing.  Anybody know how to fix it?
>
> Also everytime I click the red exclamation on my
> panel, I'm prompted to register for the RHN.  I say
> register and everything is as usual.  I have to do
> this everytime...

Beware to register RHN. That will cause up2date to fail. If already done
that mistake comment the following line in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

#up2date default

Be sure the # is in front.

> Running FC1, 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 23:39:42 up 1 day, 6:25, load average: 0.29, 0.22, 0.20
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]