yum update 2179 kernel

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Mon Apr 19 22:47:26 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Diamond" <eric at ediamond.net>
To: "'For users of Fedora Core releases'" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 4:41 PM
Subject: RE: yum update 2179 kernel

> Monday, April 19, 2004 3:16 PM John Fleming added:
>
> > Monday, April 19, 2004 3:10 PM Brian Chase helped with:
> > > ... If you've got a day or two to see more posts
> > > on this for better advice, you would be wise to get them all before
> > > making any moves.
> >
> > Thanks Brian.  I can wait.  I did run yum update again, but
> > it just said all packages were up to date (as does up2date!).
> >

> Sage advice under any circumstances...
>
> OK. Two questions:
>
> 1) You say that yum/rpm/kernel packare is stating that there's no boot
> loader configured, but yet you get the grub splash screen and kernel
> choices... What does 'rpm -q grub' output?

grub-0.93-7

> AND
>
> 2) What happens if you run 'rpm -e kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl' and then
> run 'yum update'?

1. Well, I ran "yum remove kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl"

and got "No Matches for (the above).

2. Then I ran 'rpm -e .....' as above and it returned the console prompt.

3.  Then I ran yum update - (I'm just used to using yum).  It didn't
download anything, but said it was installing the kernel.  Then the
aforementioned "no bootloader found" message, then a line that the kernel
was installed.

4.  Rebooted - Got the Grub 0.93 screen with the 2 old kernel choices.

5.  Updated, this time with rpm graphical, and it downloaded the kernel -
Downloaded and installed without errors, and suggested I reboot to use the
new kernel.

6.  The reboot yielded the graphical screen showing Grub 0.93 and STILL THE
2 OLD KERNEL CHOICES!

7.  Still no /boot/grub file, fwiw.

Any help appreciated.  - John