Network Problem

Sébastien Bisoglio bsebastien at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 19 23:41:26 UTC 2004

Eric Diamond wrote:
> Monday, April 19, 2004 4:09 PM Sébastien Bisoglio replied with:
>

>>Taylor, ForrestX wrote:

>>>Are you certain that it is saying 100Mb?  I have seen
>>
>>several switches
>>
>>>that have a slightly different color for 10/100.
>>>

>>Yes for sur ! My old Linux Mandrake server is ok at 100 mbits
>>and led is
>>ok too !
>>
>>After this command :
>>
>>mii-tool -v -F 100baseTx-FD
>>
>>Result :
>>
>>[root at bisol root]# mii-tool
>>eth0: 10 Mbit, full duplex, link ok
>

> Hmmm, had a poster with a similar problem last week. It seemed to come
> down to either a problems with mii-tool and ethtool or a problem with
> the mii interface in the NIC driver. I put my money on the driver as
> both mii-tool and ethtool work for myself and others.
>
> However, I think this same advice should pertain to you both. Just
> because the software interface is returning incorrect information
> doesn't mean that the mii hardware isn't doing it's job. Link
> negotiation happens at the hardware level even without the presence of a
> driver. WOL cards maintain link even when the machines they are in are
> powered off. Software, if properly implemented, can allow you to query
> and sometimes even set mii parameters, but usually this is best left to
> the hardware.
>
> Does your NIC have both link and speed leds? If so, what speed do they
> indicate? I would be willing to be they show 100Mbps. In this case, I
> would trust what the hardware is telling you and not what the software
> is telling you.

2 led but my transfer rate is 5mo / sec.
With my other Mandrake server I've (with same NIC) 11mo / sec !
Then it's all my problem !

> Mind you, I don't think it's good that mii-tool and ethtool are
> reporting faulty information, but I do think that if you dig deep
> enough, you're going to find that the problem is with the NIC and the
> available driver. You might check the manufacturers page to see if there
> are any known problems with linux in general and fedora in particular.
> While you're there, look into the manufacturers policy on linux support
> and also their usage of hardware tweaks. Not all OEM chipsets are
> created equal.
>
> BTW, what NIC are you using?

a cat /proc/cpi give me this :

Bus  2, device  11, function  0:
     Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]
(rev 36).
       IRQ 5.
       Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=10.
       I/O at 0xd800 [0xd87f].
       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000 [0xf400007f].