An odd thing: FC1, KDE, panel position: top isn't top. Hunh?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Apr 20 03:54:35 UTC 2004

Can someone explain this to me? Does every FC1 KDE do this? Or is my
machine just weird?

The details:

I just noticed an odd thing while rearranging the appearance of my
desktop. I decided that I wanted the "panel" to appear at the top of the
screen rather than the bottom. No biggie, I think, <alt+F1> ->
Preferences -> Configure Panel: click on one of the upper position
markers -> Apply -> OK [done deal] But for some reason beyond my
understanding, the panel was then positioned only _ALMOST_ at the top.

That is there is a stripe of the desktop background image visible above
it. I experimented with positioning a konsole window at the top by dragging it.
It was weird to see the window menu, minimize, maximize, & close buttons
visible above panel. While the panel obstructed my view of the session,
edit, view, bookmarks, settings, & help menu labels...

I tried resizing the panel, hiding and unhiding, And selecting in
turn each one of the three top panel position buttons All with the same
effect.

If I select a bottom panel position the panel is displayed at the
bottom of the screen so that NOTHING is visible below it. But if I
select a top position there is a stripe of usable screen above it???

This happens regardless which one of the 4 desktops is active. It's not a
big deal, but I find it so annoying I gave up and returned the panel to
the bottom of the screen.

If anyone else has seen this happen in KDE with FC1, or has a clue what
causes this, please do tell. Thanks!

If it matters I've got a P3 with a rage 128 card in it. And my monitor is
a 17 inch multiscan...A