yum update 2179 kernel

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Tue Apr 20 11:10:36 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Diamond" <eric at ediamond.net>
To: "'For users of Fedora Core releases'" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 12:32 AM
Subject: RE: yum update 2179 kernel

> Monday, April 19, 2004 4:47 PM John Fleming replied with:
> > Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 4:41 PM Eric Diamond tried:
> > >... What does 'rpm -q grub' output?
> >
> > grub-0.93-7
>
> OK, well it thinks grub is there.
>

> > > AND
> > >
> > > 2) What happens if you run 'rpm -e
> > kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl' and then
> > > run 'yum update'?
> >
> > 1. Well, I ran "yum remove kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl"
> >
> > and got "No Matches for (the above).
> >
> > 2. Then I ran 'rpm -e .....' as above and it returned the
> > console prompt.
>
> Strange, seems like the new kernel was never installed...
>

> > 3.  Then I ran yum update - (I'm just used to using yum).  It
> > didn't download anything, but said it was installing the
> > kernel.  Then the aforementioned "no bootloader found"
> > message, then a line that the kernel was installed.
>
> OK. So yum downloaded the kernel package, but never installed it. Or
> maybe it backed it out when it couldn't complete the install?
>

> > 4.  Rebooted - Got the Grub 0.93 screen with the 2 old kernel choices.
>
> Like I said above, maybe it's backing out the install. Alexander, can
> you shed any light on this?
>
> > 5.  Updated, this time with rpm graphical, and it downloaded
> > the kernel - Downloaded and installed without errors, and
> > suggested I reboot to use the new kernel.
> >
> > 6.  The reboot yielded the graphical screen showing Grub 0.93
> > and STILL THE 2 OLD KERNEL CHOICES!
>
> Or is it rpm that might be backing out the install?
>
> > 7.  Still no /boot/grub file, fwiw.
>
> Wow. Good one! OK, now two more questions? What is the output of 'rpm
> -qa | grep kernel'?  And, have you thought about uninstalling and
> reinstalling grub?

[root at wa9als etc]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
mindi-kernel-1.0-1
kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-16
kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
[root at wa9als etc]#

[root at wa9als etc]# cat fstab|more
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0
0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,r
o 0 0
[root at wa9als etc]#

I have Webmin, and it has a Grub install option.  Should I try that?  I
think this is an important thread.  I'm using a new Dell 600SC server,
started with a fresh install of FC1 from CDs, and have updated quite a few
times using yum of the last couple of months.  I'm not doing much desktop
stuff at all - no weird sound apps, camera apps, etc.  Only using network
stuff like Apache, pop and IMAP mail, Squirrelmail and so forth.  Things
were perfect until the last run of yum, instaalling the 2179 kernel.  And
it's a FC1-only box - not a dual boot with that other OS.  Thanks - John