nv verses the world

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Tue Apr 20 12:04:52 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 04:53, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:30:19 -0500
> From: jbn at forestfield.org (J.B. Nicholson-Owens)
> Subject: Re: nv verses the world
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> mal wrote:
> > So the question is ... What is the most capable card that I can get that
> > is totally supported by GPL drivers.  I know this is really a back to
> > front way to solve this problem but I am fed up with this situation.
>
> I have tried the ATI Radeon 9000.  I'm told the ATI Radeon 9200 is slightly
> faster and also a drop-in instantly-workable card.  As I understand it,
> there are multiple brands under which one can get these cards.
>
> For me, using the ATI Radeon 9000 was as easy as shutting off the computer,
> physically pushing the card into the AGP slot, turning on the computer, and
> FC1 figured out the card when I installed the OS.  I'm guessing either
> kudzu or picking the card from a list of video cards in the Display control
> panel should do the trick.  In any event, it was easy and hassle-free.
>
> I don't think the relevant drivers are GPL'd, but they are still free
> software instead of proprietary drivers.
>
> Good luck

I am running an ATI Radeon 7000 here at work and have an IGP320 at home.

For more info on Radeon support in linux, check out the following link:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ATIRadeon

>From this page:

"Open source 3D acceleration is available on all radeons up to and including
the 9200 (rv280). 3D support for r300 based cards (9500 and above) is only
available from ati's binary driver"

>From other info in this article, the fastest Radeon with open source drivers
are:

9200
9100
9000
8500 etc.
I am going to replace my igp320 at home so that I can get 3d support from the
open source driver with an 7000 this weekend and then a 9200 next month.

I have used many different Ati cards with linux and they have all worked
exceptionally well.  I have used
Radeon 7000
IGP 320
Rage 128Pro