email notification of yum updates?

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 20 12:50:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 01:29:44PM +0200, Herbert Gasiorowski wrote:
> Jay Daniels wrote:
> >How do I setup email notifications that yum update has run and
> >succeeded or failed?
> >

> Remove the "-e 0 -d 0" part from /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron
> (or change the values to something above 0).
>
> And activate yum with "chkconfig --level 345 yum on"

I have yum on in run levels 3 and 5.  Does this only run yum update or
does it actually update all packages?  I never seem to see any update
notice on the RHN up2date applet in gnome.

For instance, if my kernel is automatically updated and I'm not
notified, then what?  I am running an old kernel!

Is this yum in Service Configuration just the cron script in
/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron?  or is there an actual yumd?

Read the yum man page and it said -e 0 is good for cron jobs.  How
would changing the error level get me notifications if the updates
succeed? It seems like there is more to this than just changing the
error level in yum.cron such as handling the errors with a redirector
in the cron job.

jay