Fedora, KDE and Printing Package Policy Stinks

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Tue Apr 20 14:54:02 UTC 2004

> I have a binary print server that requires LPRng, however
> the folks at KDE and/or Fedora Developing have made it so
> that CUPS is required to be installed to install KDE base.
> This policy is short sighted and this forcing the adoption
> of a print server system is anti-Open Source and choice.
> I hope that this policy by Fedora Development and/or KDE
> will stop now.
>  The Fedora development team do not have to support LPRng
> but the way that they have forced CUPS down the throats of
> Fedora users is absolutely wrong.

I think that you have some misunderstanding of the difference between CUPS on
the client and CUPS being required on the server.

ALL of our printing goes through a Redhat 6.2 print server running lpr (not
even lprng).  The job is then either sent to a network printer or to another
print server running lpr or lprng with a direct attached parallel or usb
printer.

We have 18 linux boxes, 2 solaris, and 40 windoze ones that print using this
system.  2 of the linux boxes (Fedora Core 1) are only running cups.  The
others are all running lprng or lpr.

When setting up the printer on the client, be sure to select use strict RFC
1197 support for any printer queue that sends jobs to an lpr/lprng print
server and it just works.