Wireless network card setup, Fedora Core 1...

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 20 14:55:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:09:54AM -0400, Michael Mayhew wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   I recently checked Linuxcompatible.org for a list of potential wireless
> cards for my desktop, and have decided on the D-Link PCI WL-520. On the
> site, the noted drivers required were the Prism2 drivers. Those, I believe,
> are not included with FC1. (Or can I use the orincoco drivers? Even though
> when I ran lsmod, the orinoco_cs module did not appear) Also, I have seen a
> package linux-wlan-ng that contains the Prism2 drivers but when I do an rpm
> search on rpmfind.net or freshrpms, nothing comes up. Has anyone found, for
> sure, the Prism2 drivers, whether included in some other package or on
> their own, and, if so, where? Also, since I don't have internet until this
> card is installed, would the package fit on a floppy? Thanks for any and
> all assistance. I greatly appreciate it.
>
> plainmedici

What about a wireless router and connect it directly to your network
card.  Wouldn't a good wireless router handle the security/encryption
for the wireless network and as long as the wireless router had a web
interface to control it and used tcp/ip and encrypted the data over
the air, it would seem to me that any Linux box with a working network
interface would work?

I don't understand your problem or why you must install a wireless
adaptor to setup a wireless network?  Couldn't you use a wireless
router like the one I described above and avoid all this confusion?

Perhaps I'm lost, I have not setup a wireless router, but as I
understand it that's how it works.  Comments please???

jay