Fedora, KDE and Printing Package Policy Stinks

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 20 15:14:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 06:10:50AM -0700, Keith wrote:
> I have a binary print server that requires LPRng, however
> the folks at KDE and/or Fedora Developing have made it so
> that CUPS is required to be installed to install KDE base.
> This policy is short sighted and this forcing the adoption
> of a print server system is anti-Open Source and choice.
> I hope that this policy by Fedora Development and/or KDE
> will stop now.
>  The Fedora development team do not have to support LPRng
> but the way that they have forced CUPS down the throats of
> Fedora users is absolutely wrong.

The cups page say cups is released under the GPL.

Cups has support for ipp and lpd builtin and provides security for
printing.

I don't understand your grips?

You have a binary print server that requires LPRng, you mean it won't
work with the standard cups LPD support?  Sounds like the owner of the
binary print server is the one who should release his source code.

I like cups;)

jay