Another PVR question

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Apr 20 16:13:03 UTC 2004

Michael Gargiullo wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 11:10, Charles Howse wrote:

>>>Step-by-step guide to building a MythTV System on Fedora Core w/ATrpms:
>>>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
>>>

>>Yes, I've been reading that page.  It's what scared me!  :-))
>>

>Follow it step by step and it works beautifully!

I installed it on a P4 2.4GHz {running at 2.8} with 1GB DDR with and ASUS
9800 Video Suite {video capture not supported in current kernel} and an
AverMedia PVR capture card, I also have 2 ATA133 controlers with 6
7200RPM/8MB drives, with a combined capacity over 520GB. It took a bit
of juggling to get atrpms installed and my machine completely updated, but
once that was done I installed mythtv then mythtv-suite without any
problems.
After setting up MySQL I installed webmin {with apt} then created a mysql
user for my logon account and gave the account full permissions. I then
found
mc.sql and setup the initial db. Next, IIRC, I ran mythtvsetup. After
that I ran
the mythfilldatabase or what ever it was called, created the spool
directory I put
in the setup, started the backend with 'sudo
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mtyhbackend start'.
Next I put the lircd.conf.avermedia98 config in /etc/lircd.conf and
started lircd.

Then I started mythfrontend, and it pretty much all worked.

The only probelm I had was the AverMedia remote did not work, but I didn't
have time to figure out why. Maybe I should have run mythtvsetup again,
because it complained that it couldn't connect to lirc. Or it could be
lirc needs
to be configured to find the remote on the capture card {guess}.

I did a test, and recorded about half an hour of a tv show at 640x480-2.2M
mpeg4 video with 48k mp3 audio, and while watching TV my load was at
0.30. For some reason I set the "High Quality" to 8Mbit but the settings
didn't seem to hold.

This is great software, especially if you have a fast machine. :-)
If you don't have a fast machine, look at getting one of those Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR-250 or WinTV-PVR-350 cards. I'm going to check them out
and see if a M1000 mini-atx board will handle two tuners.

Later...