RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 20 19:11:43 UTC 2004

Mike Bartman wrote:
> At 02:02 PM 4/17/04 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>
>>At 12:40 4/16/2004, you wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not a linux developer, and I need my system to work at all times, so
>>>Fedora doesn't seem to be a good option either...though I'm not 100%
>>>convinced of that yet, which is why I signed up for this list.  Need more
>>>info.
>>
>>I don't see why you feel that. I use Fedora in exactly the same way I used
>>Red Hat Linux before it... all the time. My notebook runs Fedora with
>>servers and all sorts of programs, and FC1 has been extremely stable and
>>robust since it came out. I have had no... *zero*... problems with it.
>

> That's good to hear.  Thanks.  I need DNS, NTP, SMTP, FTP, HTML, XDM, and
> Telnet support along with some sort of firewall (ipchains for instance).
> Anything else is going to be for maintaining those, and learning more about
> Linux admin and programming.  RHL 7.3 had all that...it's looking like FC-1
> does too (please tell me if not! :-)
>
> The other critical need is for something like RHN to keep the above updated
> more or less automatically.  I didn't think Fedora had that, but after
> reading some of the threads here, it looks like it does...just not from the
> same sites (the thread with the pointer to the mirror sites was very
> useful, thanks!).  With RHN I'd get an e-mail saying there was some sort of
> problem and to run up2date to get the patch.  I'm signed up for the
> Fedora-announce list, so that should take care of the notification part,
> and if running up2date (or yum) when that happens will get and install the
> fixes, I'm all set (once I get and install FC-1 anyway :-)
>

>>>RH seems to think that the only two options are "workstation" and "server".
>>
>>In the Enterprise, that is pretty much true. Which is what RHEL is designed
>>for.
>

> Right, but it's a big change from RHL 7.3 Pro, which came with both.
> Neither of RH's current offerings does the job I need done.  One is missing
> the server support, the other is missing the workstation support.  Even if
> I was willing to pay them what they are asking (possible for the
> workstation price, not for the server price), they aren't selling what I
> need anymore.
>
> I don't need 24x7 support either...with access to patches, and occasional
> boxed upgrades, I've been happy for several years now.  When I needed to
> configure something, I searched man, HOWTOs, or the net for the info I
> needed, or bought a book (Sendmail from O'Reily for example).  I've never
> called RH, even during the periods where I had free install support right
> after upgrading.  I was almost pure profit for them.  Ah well.
>

>>>Fedora seems (correct me if I'm wrong please...) to be a development
>>>system...a continuous beta release.  Something that will change all the
>>>time, require constant attention, and may be broken some percentage of the
>>>time. [...]
> [...]

Just to add my $0.02:

I'm using FC1 on a bunch of load-balanced SMTP servers.  These are
also running clamav-milter and bogofilter via procmail.  The three
servers handle between 12- and 18-million messages per day between them.
No problems so far.  (Load balancing is via an Alteon AD3)

I'm rolling out 8 FC1-based POP3 servers in a load-balanced system.  So
far, only 3 are up (this is a live farm), but I've had no problems with
them either (Load balancing is via an Alteon AD3, also)

Our DNS (BIND9-based) servers (two of them) are also FC1 and handle a
ridiculous number of queries each day with no problems.  (NOT load-
balanced)

Two back-end PostgreSQL servers and two back-end LDAP servers are also
on FC1 with no problems.  (NOT load balanced--using active failover)

My desktop devlopment system is FC1.  My laptop is FC1.  My home systems
are FC1.  My three labrat machines are running FC (one is FC1, one is
FC1-x64, one is FC2-beta).  I've had some problems with FC2-beta, but it
may be hardware related (that's the oldest machine I have).

So far, I'm happy with FC, any minor teething problems aside.  Of
course, I have 25 years of experience in various Unixish systems so I
may be able to resolve any weirdness better than some.
-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -