yum update 2179 kernel

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Tue Apr 20 22:43:48 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Green" <fedora at warmcat.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: yum update 2179 kernel

> On Tuesday 20 April 2004 21:50, John Fleming wrote:
>
> > Can anyone see how this got my boot partition off the mount list??  The
>
> That's not what happened.  Your /etc/fstab was still requesting to stick
the
> partition labelled "/boot" at the mountpoint /boot as intended.  But when
at
> boot-time it went looking on the devices to find out which partition was
so
> labelled, it found not one but two partitions wandering around your system
> with that label (one being the legitimate one on /dev/hda1 and we suspect
an
> unintentional one on /dev/sda1).  Then it threw its hands up in the air,
made
> the log message and mounted neither, since it could not determine which
was
> the one you wanted.
>
> > flash disk only had a website on it, i.e. html files and images.  Maybe
> > when I first plugged it in, before making the udpfstab change, it got
> > marked with a /boot?
>
> Did you format your USB drive with ext2 or ext3? If so then thanks the
> Alexander's great tip about e2label, you can get a definitive answer to
your
> question.  Stick the USB drive in, and try
>
> e2label /dev/sda1
>
> to see what that partition is labelled as.  If it is vfat.... then I
dunno.

> - -Andy

I bought the Cruzer new and stuck it in my wife's Windows 98SE laptop and
copied her 6000-file website onto it.  Never formatted it with Linux.
That's why I don't know why it would have /boot on it.  I don't have it with
me here at work, but will check it out later.  I almost threw it away when I
finally got it out of my Linux box.  It's the one with a defect that allows
it to get [usually] hopelessly stuck in the USB socket!  Some have destroyed
theirs getting them out, and Sandisk is replacing those that display the
sticking problem!  ;-))  I got lucky and finally got mine out with much
force and only a slight deformity of the USB socket!  If there's an admitted
manufacturing defect, I have no idea why Best Buy is still selling them!

It's about time for someone to complain that this is really getting
off-thread for FC1, especially since it apparently wasn't yum that caused
the problem.  Maybe anyone still interested could continue off-list?
- John