Wireless network card setup, Fedora Core 1...

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Tue Apr 20 23:18:05 UTC 2004

> Greetings,
>
>    I recently checked Linuxcompatible.org for a list of potential
> wireless
> cards for my desktop, and have decided on the D-Link PCI WL-520. On the
> site, the noted drivers required were the Prism2 drivers. Those,
> I believe,
> are not included with FC1. (Or can I use the orincoco drivers?
> Even though
> when I ran lsmod, the orinoco_cs module did not appear) Also, I
> have seen a
> package linux-wlan-ng that contains the Prism2 drivers but when I
> do an rpm
> search on rpmfind.net or freshrpms, nothing comes up. Has anyone
> found, for
> sure, the Prism2 drivers, whether included in some other package
> or on their
> own, and, if so, where? Also, since I don't have internet until
> this card is
> installed, would the package fit on a floppy? Thanks for any and all
> assistance. I greatly appreciate it.
>
> plainmedici

FWIW, I found that this worked out of the box for me, using a laptop though.
I did a vanilla workstation installation of FC1  and then configured a
wireless connection via redhat-config-network.  FC1 identified my hardware
and I could set up the configuration properly.

This worked on one laptop running FC1 and (after a while) on an older RH9
laptop.  I am not certain what fixed it on RH9...just one day it started
working properly.  One wireless card uses Prism2 and the other orinoco_cs.

You'll have to configure items such as selecting an SSID and setting up WEP
keys if you use them.  If you are on a "managed" network, you have to know
these data items yourself; they won't be detected automatically.  And if the
wireless settings (this is what they're called) aren't correct, the card
will behave as if it's not working at all.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I hope so.   Erik