writing to Windows partition

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Apr 21 03:03:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 18:05, Rick Chen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 10:56, Dick Brown wrote:
> > As I mentioned in a previous message, I'm running dual boot
> > WinXP/Fedora.  To enable the easy access to certain data files from both
> > OS's, I've set up a vfat partition.  My problem is that everything on
> > this partition has "root" as both owner and group, and only root has
> > write access, so I have to jump through hoops to edit any file there
> > while in Linux.
> >
> > I've tried changing permissions, as well as user and group ownership,
> > but to no avail.  I've looked in /etc/inittab and everything looks
> > normal (i.e., default).  I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this,
> > but I'm still too new to Linux to know what it might be.  Any help would
> > be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dick
>
> edit your your /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/hda8     /mnt/wind           vfat    user,uid=500,gid=500    0
>  0
>
> note. change /dev/hda8 to match your windows partition
> this will auto mount the windows partition on startup and permit user to
> write to it.

	This will work O.K. but if you add another user (s)he won't have access
to these files.  Try this instead:

(From /etc/fstab)
/dev/hda5      /mnt/media       vfat    noauto,owner,users      0 0

the important item is <users> man says that this allows anyone to mount
the FS. Just be sure to chmod your mountpoint to the appropriate
permissions.

Scott