Clustering on FC1

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 07:04:38 UTC 2004

Hi Tom,

> >  ... I want to
> > learn how to cluster with FC1 for my own personal
> > environments, in addition to fail-over clustering
> > keep services like Apache running for my
> commercial
> > clients
>
> Clustering is "bigger than a bread box".
> Can you be specific about your clustering
> intentions.
>
> There are fine grained and  coarse grained
> computational clusters.
> Shared memory, reflected memory or TCP/IP message
> passing.
>
> There are fail over clusters for httpd where the
> fail  over is
> transparent to the box/apache i.e. provided by the
> router and DNS.
>
> There is load sharing clustering.
> There is data base clustering (each data base
> product has a different answer).
> There is file system clustering.
> Mirror cluster.... (rsync).
> BitTorrent clustering...
> Render Farm clusters.
>
> Redundant, performance.

Ok, I'll be specific. For my first project, I want to
build a fileserver cluster and for my second project,
a print server cluster. Each cluster would comprise of
2 members, a primary and a secondary.

For the file server cluster, I want to be able to
failover to the secondary server if the primary server
fails.

For the print server cluster, I want the same thing to
happen.

Afterwards I'd like to look at clustering Apache
webservers, and I'd like to do all of this on FC1 if
not on RHEL. I noted on the RH site that they have
Clustering software available within the RHEL
releases.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com