Fedora, KDE and Printing Package Policy Stinks

Keith ac7xc-lnx at wvi.com
Wed Apr 21 12:59:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 07:54, Jon Shorie wrote:
> > I have a binary print server that requires LPRng, however
> > the folks at KDE and/or Fedora Developing have made it so
> > that CUPS is required to be installed to install KDE base.
> > This policy is short sighted and this forcing the adoption
> > of a print server system is anti-Open Source and choice.
> > I hope that this policy by Fedora Development and/or KDE
> > will stop now.
> >  The Fedora development team do not have to support LPRng
> > but the way that they have forced CUPS down the throats of
> > Fedora users is absolutely wrong.
>
> I think that you have some misunderstanding of the difference between CUPS on
> the client and CUPS being required on the server.

 No I don't, Fedora RPMS for KDE require CUPS to be installed.

> We have 18 linux boxes, 2 solaris, and 40 windoze ones that print using this
> system.  2 of the linux boxes (Fedora Core 1) are only running cups.  The
> others are all running lprng or lpr.

 That is nice, it has nothing to do with KDE RPMS from Fedora requiring
CUPS to be installed.

> When setting up the printer on the client, be sure to select use strict RFC
> 1197 support for any printer queue that sends jobs to an lpr/lprng print
> server and it just works.

 Which has nothing to do with KDE RPMS from Fedora requiring CUPS to be
installed.

--
Best Regards,  Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/