X flicker

Juan Carlos Inostroza jci at tux.cl
Wed Apr 21 14:31:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 10:19, Colin Charles wrote:
> > If I run redhat-config-xfree86 it detects the monitor correctly as a 'Smile
> > CA6748SL', and detects the card as a 'Trident Cyberblade (generic)'.
>
> Can you run up2date/yum and get the latest X packages and see if this
> problem disappears?

I tested the same monitor (ViewSonic 20" LCD) with Fedora and other
distros, having the same problem. With two different video cards.

> Also, look at the refresh rate on the LCD monitor - that might be an
> issue. And try reducing the resolution from say 1024x768 -> 800x600, or
> even try dropping the color depth at 1024x768 (from many millions, to
> 24bit or something less)

Reducing the resolution may solve the flickering problem at startup.

Or you can add a background image to the X startup to avoid see the
flicker (that's what i did), adding this line in .xinitrc or .xsession

DISPLAY=:0 xloadimage -shrink -onroot -center -border white -quiet
/home/user/background.jpg >/dev/null 2>&1

change /home/user/background.jpg with the image of your choice.

Greetings!
--
Juan Carlos Inostroza O.
Registered Linux User #246002