Kernel Question for Anti-Virus

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Apr 21 16:14:41 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 21.04.2004 schrieb Chalonec Roger um 12:23:

> I am using 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.  I am trying to install TrendMicro's
> ServerProtect anti virus software.  Its web site does not show the
> Fedora kernel.  Is there a redhat kernel that would be compatible?
> Also, has anyone tried TrendMicro's ServerProtect anti-virus?  Is there
> a commercial anti-virus for Fedora?  Trendmicro's is only a beta.

I do not know TrendMicro's product and how deep it switches into a Linux
distribution. As meanwhile kernel 2.6.x is available for quite some time
I feel their anti-virus product should be able to run on Linux 2.6, and
therefor it should have no problem with the NPTL backport within the
Fedora 2.4 kernel and used by its glibc.

Asking for a commercial anti-virus product for Linux / Fedora I can say
by experience that NAI's/McAfee's uvscan run smooth. Though on some
Linux systems under certain conditions a former uvscan version did
access the wrong libc.so.6 library and because of that the program
failed. It's known and there is a workaround in the FAQ of McAfee, fixed
in actual version.

> Thanks,
>
> Roger

Unfortunately you did not say what you want to protect against viruses
on a Federa system. Thus it is hard to recommend anything. I am running
an anti-virus scanner - or even 2, McAfee uvscan and clamav - on the
mailserver to detect and reject infected mail/attachments. Another place
could be a fileserver with Samba. There samba-vscan should integrate for
real time scanning. Else on a Linux platform I see no need for
anti-virus scanning like it is command and highly recommended on
Windows[tm] platforms.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 18:01:45 up 3 days, 47 users, load average: 0.42, 0.20,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]