Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 18:28:33 UTC 2004

Don Levey said:
> William Hooper wrote:
>> bbales said:
>>> And I still can't get Realplayer or
>>> any
>>> sound system to work with Opera 7.23 and RH-9 after three weeks of
>>> off and on trying.
>>
>> So, to paraphrase, you can't get one third-party product to work with
>> another third-party product, and this is the OS's fault?  Pretty bad
>> example.
>>

> It's an excellent example of real-world application.
> The average Joe, when using a computer, doesn't *care* if we're talking
> about third-party or not.  All he knows, and cares about, is that the
> sound doesn't work.

So, since this is a good example, you're suggesting that someone having
trouble with getting Realplayer or Opera to work in Windows 98 would blame
 Microsoft?  No, they would blame Real or Opera.  I'm not saying that the
"Langa sound issue" doesn't exist (just that he provides no useful
information to find out what the issue is).  I'm just saying that
complaining about third party (and closed source) programs to a Linux list
probably won't get you any help, for the same reason complaining to
Microsoft about third party programs won't get you any help.

--
William Hooper