Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Apr 21 18:38:49 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Don Levey said:

>> It's an excellent example of real-world application.
>> The average Joe, when using a computer, doesn't *care* if we're
>> talking about third-party or not.  All he knows, and cares about, is
>> that the sound doesn't work.
>
> So, since this is a good example, you're suggesting that someone
> having trouble with getting Realplayer or Opera to work in Windows 98
>  would blame Microsoft?  No, they would blame Real or Opera.  I'm not
> saying that the "Langa sound issue" doesn't exist (just that he
> provides no useful information to find out what the issue is).  I'm
> just saying that complaining about third party (and closed source)
> programs to a Linux list probably won't get you any help, for the
> same reason complaining to Microsoft about third party programs won't
> get you any help.

It's a problem of perception.  Linux isn't coming pre-installed on most PCs
being sold.  People need to make a conscious choice to install and configure
it.  What people will see is that the different thing is Linux, even if the
problem is elsewhere.  Since MS is the "base", that's not where the
perception of the problem lies.  Linux is the "new" thing to most people, so
that's where the "problem" lies.

 -Don