RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 18:39:43 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 17:37 4/20/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Users must, at least, check for incoming mail via POP3 or IMAP4 or a Web
>> interface (which is a front end for IMAP4) before they're allowed to
>> send any mail.
>

> POP-before-SMTP was quite common awhile back, before SMTP AUTH really
> got widespread support. Is there a reason (other than "it's not broken,
> don't fix it" which is valid) why you haven't moved your SMTP cluster to
> use SMTP AUTH? Just curious.

Many of our clients are, uhm, computer-challenged and setting up AUTH
is beyond some of them.  AUTH is also not supported by many older mail
clients (old versions of Outlook and several others).  We do support
AUTH, but it's only used by about 10% of our users.

> Also, when I get the HOWTO roughed up and nearly finished, would you be
> OK with me sending you a copy and asking for your
> reviews/comments/feedback?

Sure.
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -