Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Apr 21 19:37:56 UTC 2004

Don Levey wrote:

> William Hooper wrote:
>
>>Don Levey said:
>

>>>It's an excellent example of real-world application.
>>>The average Joe, when using a computer, doesn't *care* if we're
>>>talking about third-party or not.  All he knows, and cares about, is
>>>that the sound doesn't work.
>>
>>So, since this is a good example, you're suggesting that someone
>>having trouble with getting Realplayer or Opera to work in Windows 98
>> would blame Microsoft?  No, they would blame Real or Opera.  I'm not
>>saying that the "Langa sound issue" doesn't exist (just that he
>>provides no useful information to find out what the issue is).  I'm
>>just saying that complaining about third party (and closed source)
>>programs to a Linux list probably won't get you any help, for the
>>same reason complaining to Microsoft about third party programs won't
>>get you any help.
>>

> It's a problem of perception.  Linux isn't coming pre-installed on most PCs
> being sold.  People need to make a conscious choice to install and configure
> it.  What people will see is that the different thing is Linux, even if the
> problem is elsewhere.  Since MS is the "base", that's not where the
> perception of the problem lies.  Linux is the "new" thing to most people, so
> that's where the "problem" lies.
>
>  -Don

Sun Java Desktop.

I believe these types of ideas are going to help Linux on the desktop
more than anything.  Wal-mart is a very trusted and well established
retailer.  The more of this we see the more normal users their will be.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=132690&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A132690

Sun Java Desktop is based on SuSE.  If anyone wants to see something
very cool (3D desktop):
http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

SuSE 9.1 is going to be well received I believe as well.  Fedora being
non commercial probably isn't going to get near the attention as these
other distros.  However, anything progressing Linux is bound to help all
distros in the end as the technology will be shared in one way or
another either directly or indirectly as an idea.  As relating to
drivers, I'm sure we'll see more and more manufacturers supporting a
growing and demanding user base.

Wade