Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 21 21:25:19 UTC 2004

Wade Chandler wrote:
...snip...

> SuSE 9.1 is going to be well received I believe as well.  Fedora being
> non commercial probably isn't going to get near the attention as these
> other distros.  However, anything progressing Linux is bound to help
> all distros in the end as the technology will be shared in one way or
> another either directly or indirectly as an idea.  As relating to
> drivers, I'm sure we'll see more and more manufacturers supporting a
> growing and demanding user base.
>
> Wade

...snip...
If I am not mistaken ALSA will now be the default sound system for the
2.6 kernel and since SuSE has been using ALSA for a long time, it
would seem to become the "standard" linux sound system. If vendors
don't want to write SDL drivers, they could write ALSA drivers now.

The excuse that there were too many sound systems is quite pathetic if
you ask me, and I realize nobody did. If a vendor wanted to, they could
have picked one and built the driver for that one. If someone wanted to
get that card working and had a different default sound system, then they
could switch sound systems.