How to boot without X Windows?

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 22 11:49:43 UTC 2004

Elvio Caruana wrote:

>Charles,
>
>When X starts and fails, press CRTL+ALT+F1 to go to console mode.
>Log in as root, then edit /etc/inittab with your favourite editor.
>
>Find the line
>
>id:5:initdefault:
>
>and change it to
>
>id:3:initdefault:
>

>and reboot.
>

>You probably didn't know that you can go to a console by CTL+ALT+F[1-6]
>.. and that will solve you many problems.

And *you* probably didn't know that you don't need to reboot to have it
take effect...

Since you are already logged in as root, type init 3 at the prompt, and
it will go into pure text mode.  Type init 5, and it will go back to X.

BTW, the CTL+ALT+F[1-6] works regardless of whether you are in init
level 3 or init level 5.  Furthermore, once you have your X working, if
you ever use CTL+ALT+F[1-6] to get to a text-based login prompt, you can
switch back to X by using CTL+ALT+F7.

Once you are in init level 3, you can either type startx to test your X
configuration, or init 5.  My preference is to type startx, because a
simple CTL+ALT+Backspace will kill it, and bring you back to your
prompt.  Once you have your X configuration working the way you want it,
*then* you can type init 5.

Remember, Unix is not Windows.  You do not need to reboot for every
little thing.

Good luck...

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -