How to boot without X Windows?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Apr 22 12:05:17 UTC 2004

Elvio Caruana wrote:

>Charles,
>
>When X starts and fails, press CRTL+ALT+F1 to go to console mode.
>Log in as root, then edit /etc/inittab with your favourite editor.
>
>Find the line
>
>id:5:initdefault:
>
>and change it to
>
>id:3:initdefault:
>

>and reboot.
>

>You probably didn't know that you can go to a console by CTL+ALT+F[1-6]
>.. and that will solve you many problems.

*He said he can't boot.  Thus he can't edit inittab*

The easiest way is at the fedora splash menu press "a"

then add "  3  " to the end of the line and boot to run level 3.

Now you can do what is needed to get X to run, simply use "startx" to
test it and "ctr-alt-bksp" to kill the server for the test.
Once it is running properly just reboot back to the graphics mode.

The suggestion above, by editing /etc/inittab will make it so you can
boot to text mode all the time, until you change it back.