seti service script - proper run level (still problems)

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Apr 22 15:12:11 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-04-21 18:46, Alexander Dalloz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Am Do, den 22.04.2004 schrieb Rick Stevens um 01:32:
>

>>Those should be "/etc/rc.d/rc3.d" and "/etc/rc.d/rc5.d".
>>

>Whether /etc/rc.d/rcX.d or /etc/rcX.d does not matter, because
>
>$ file /etc/rc3.d
>/etc/rc3.d: symbolic link to `rc.d/rc3.d'
>
>Alexander

Using the KISS principle, why not run it as the SETI folk suggest, using
a cron entry?
(From the README)
If you want setiathome to be started automatically, you can
    set up a cron job.  Add the following line to your crontab:

    0 1,5,9,13,17,21 * * * cd <setidir>; ./setiathome -nice 19 >
/dev/null 2> /dev/null

    Where <setidir> is the directory where the setiathome client is
installed.
    This cron job will attempt to start the client once every four hours.
    If it is already running, the next invocation will do nothing.
    If the client is not running, it will be started.

There will, of course, be on average 2 hours of dead time between jobs.
If you have a really fast CPU that can turn a work unit in 6-10 hours,
then you might consider setting the cron line to run every 2 or 1 hours.

I'm not sure I can see any advantage to the script, and it appears to be
a lot more complicated.

--
Fritz Whittington
The English have no respect for their language, and will not teach their children to speak it. (George Bernard Shaw)