scsi module not loading (ncr53c8xx)

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Apr 22 15:22:28 UTC 2004

A strange problem: I moved a scsi card from one machine to another (old
one was RH 9, new one is FC1). Kudzu detected the new hardware and added
'alias scsi_hostadapter ncr53c8xx in /etc/modules.conf
However, /proc/scsi only shows ide-scsi (dvd+rw) and no sign of the scsi
controller or the attached DAT drive.
It works after 'modprobe ncr53c8xx' but after a reboot, the module is
not loaded again.

As a workaround, I have added the modprobe line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
However, since it used to be loaded automatically in RH9, and FC is also
able to initialize the scsi module on another system (different type of
scsi card though), I would like to find out what it is I'm missing here.

David Jansen