Logs and how to read them

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Apr 22 16:04:34 UTC 2004

At 16:36 4/21/2004, you wrote:
>  I did check all the Windows machines for viruses and worms and found
> none...I will block outgoing port 25 however as soon as I learn more
> about iptables, looking into it today.  Thinking about getting a gui
> firewall configuration tool to get it done today but I would prefer to
> learn how to do things first before I get used to guis.

Go to http://www.shorewall.net and download the Shorewall RPM. Also look at
the Documentation and read the "Two-Interface Quick Guide" to get you
started. You'll have a functioning, useful, easy-to-configure firewall
within about 15 minutes or so. Shorewall is extremely powerful and flexible
as a front-end to iptables, and since it's configured through simple text
files you can change things remotely, via SSH, at a text terminal, or anywhere.

Shorewall also has an active mailing list and the author answers a good
portion of the questions himself. A "five-star all-star kick-ass
gotta-have-it" package and one of my all-time favorites.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com