Kernel Question for Anti-Virus

Chalonec Roger Chalonec.Roger at pbgc.gov
Thu Apr 22 16:30:17 UTC 2004

Alexander,

Chuckle, chuckle... Not trying to be obscure at all and I do appreciate your great assistance.  For one thing I am simply not exactly sure what I need to protect against and for another, I sometimes have difficulty making the jump from Windowseese to Ferdoraeese.  To complicate matters, I am not server person at all be it Windows, Solaris, or Fedora, I am a data communications person (routers, bridges, gateways, bits, ones and zeros).  Never the less, I have been asked to set up an FTP server and thought this would be a great opportunity to show my server colleagues what can be done without using Microsoft or Solaris.  I think that Linux has its place and want to demonstrate it.  The proof would be an operational service with the idea that if a non-server person can do it then the server experts surely can.  When I finish this server it will be turned over to our Unix server experts, and hopefully with the Gnome GUI our Microsoft server folks would also be able to run the se!
rvers, learn from them, and consider Linux where it makes sense.  I know this is a long message but I think other organization may be experiencing the same problems in trying to get Linux accepted into the data center and elsewhere.  Anyway, I am only running an FTP server and want to protect against any viruses that might affect the Fedora server itself and any that might affect my windows clients once they download the files from the FTP server.

I will definitely look at the link and thanks again

Roger