USB hotplug (?) problem

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Thu Apr 22 20:29:27 UTC 2004

I've got a new disk drive in a (separately) new USB enclosure. I'm
trying to get it to work under FC1. When I plug the combo in, I get
these messages in dmesg:

hub.c: new USB device 00:02.2-5, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-71)
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.2-5, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-71)
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4e8/0x323a) is not claimed by any
active driver.
usb.c: registered new driver usblp

lsusb tells me that the last three lines pertain to my Samsung Laser
printer.

I found this document to help me start trouble shooting:
http://cyberelk.net/tim/usb-storage.html However, I don't see where it
covers this kind of error. Could someone point me to a document or a
forum where I might have some luck tracking down this problem? If the
problem is solvable, I would love to work it out. That would further my
linux sysadmin "training".

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson