Huge Partition

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Apr 22 20:44:52 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 16:17 4/21/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Creating the partition with fdisk seems to have improved things. The df
>> utility now reports 1.8T for the partition, the 0.2T being used up in
>> overhead. That's more like it!
>

> 200GB in overhead? That's about 10%. Why so high?
>
> Root normally reserves space on a partition to prevent the disk
> filling up totally and crashing the system, but that's normally just
> 5%, so where's the other 5% (100GB) going? You can check how much
> space is "reserved" for root with:

Since physical disk size is specified as 1000 K == 1 G the reported
filesystem size is less.
In fact 1000/1024 is the factor for every 10e3 factor of disk size.  In
the case of a 2T range it is a factor of (1000/1024)e3 or about
0.931322575 * 2T. When rounded to a single decimal this gives a
filesystem of ~1.8T

With this in mind, how do you figure such a large space consumption for
overhead?  I interpret that as minimal and normal overhead -- formating
factors, etc.

In fact, on my 30G physical drive as a single partition it reports a
filesystem size of 27.94G (a loss of ~7% due to the differences in the
way it is stated + overhead)