Dual-Boot/XP Crash

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 23 09:53:37 UTC 2004

Gary Waters wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I changed my motherboard, CPU, and Videocard. I previously posted my
> intentions and queried as to whether or not Fedora would survive the
> transition, which it did....with flying colors. However, windows XP did
> NOT. I'm now looking to repair or reinstall XP so my daughter won't
> drive me nuts over not being able to play her games.
>
> Could somebody point me to a FAQ on how to do this and restore grub? The
> man pages are somewhat vague. I really don't want to lose this fedora
> installation. I spent a lot of time fine-tuning it. I did some googling
> on the matter, but I would feel much more secure with whatever
> suggestions this list has to offer. Thanks.
>
> Gary

If Windows overwrites your MBR you can fix it fairly easily. Boot from the
FC1 CD in rescue mode. This mounts your root partition at /mnt/sysimage, so run
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
to make it the root filesystem. Then run

# grub-install /dev/hda
(this assumes that GRUB is to be installed in the MBR of the primary master
disk, if not you'll need a different command).

As to fixing XP, that's another issue and one which doesn't really belong
here. The only advice which should appear in this list for fixing XP is to
run mke2fs /dev/hda1 which will cure all problems with XP (but I won't
because that wouldn't be nice). Basically, you need to boot into safe mode
and delete all devices related to the changed hardware - graphics card, IDE,
USB etc. Then reboot and let XP detect the new hardware. Make sure you
backup any XP files you need to keep as this process doesn't always work,
changing the MB sometimes requires a re-installation of XP.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555