Dual-Boot/XP Crash

Gary Waters gwaters at rci-enr.net
Fri Apr 23 11:04:28 UTC 2004

> If Windows overwrites your MBR you can fix it fairly easily. Boot from the
> FC1 CD in rescue mode. This mounts your root partition at /mnt/sysimage, so run
> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
> to make it the root filesystem. Then run
>
> # grub-install /dev/hda
> (this assumes that GRUB is to be installed in the MBR of the primary master
> disk, if not you'll need a different command).

Fixing XP wasn't my primary worry. It was the Grub situation that had me
in "newbie terror" mode. :-) I suspected XP would crash on me. I can't
say I've ever made any radical hardware changes on any NT-based windows
machines without there being a crash. If it wasn't for the fact that my
daughter uses XP for games, I more than likely would not repair it at
all. The few windows apps I do use still run perfectly from wine. Thanks
for the help!