Inserting modules at boot (was Re: FC1 and Laptops?)

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 23 12:02:02 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 23.04.2004 schrieb Matthew Saltzman um 13:53:

> One generally does not like to modify scripts that are installed by RPMs,
> in particular system-critical RPMs like initscripts.  They have a nasty
> habit of getting overwritten when one upgrades (unlike config files, which
> are generally handled specially by rpm).  One has been bitten by this in
> the past 8^(.

That is fairly right.

> I beleive that Mandrake and Debian have a file /etc/modules where modules
> can be listed that are to be installed at the start of rc.sysinit (before
> /etc/rcX.d/S* are run).  But lines 433 - 436 of Fedora's /etc/rc.sysinit
> are:
>
>     # Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
>     if [ -f /etc/rc.modules ]; then
>             /etc/rc.modules
>     fi

Matthew, did not grep the rc.sysinit script, but with this call inside
it there is no doubt where to put such modprobe calls then :)

A good information for everybody.

> 		Matthew Saltzman

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 13:59:56 up 4 days, 20:45, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.17
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]