instant messaging

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Fri Apr 23 12:12:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 13:52, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 23.04.2004 schrieb Emiliano Brunetti um 10:22:
>
> > If you know of something that can handle a fw in the middle, please let
> > me know. That would be great.
>
> The thing is not that an IM application can handle with firewalling
> circumstances - being able to run through a proxy is a different thing -
> but that a firewall prevents some connections and thus applications to
> run for good reasons.

Alexander, some IM applications can handle better the situation. For
instance, they can be able to tunnel trhough port 80 and establish a
connection. Neither Gaim nor licq can do this in my case. On the
contrary, webicq can connect. But it keeps crashing.

At least, this is my experience. Icq for win, for instance, can override
many standard firewall rules. Trillian can't, MSN client can't.

I know that a proxy connection may help. It wouldn't be too difficult to
set up too. Unfortunately i am, at the moment, unable to set up a proxy
outside of my local network. So i can't go for this solution.

> So contact the firewall administrator and ask him
> if you can run an IM in any way or if it is in general forbidden because
> of office policy.

Not possible. The situation is rather difficult to explain, and not
really in the interest of this list too. ;)

I only wish there was a IM client capable to deal better with fw rules,
just like ICQ for win does. Any hint?

E.