Dual-Boot/XP Crash

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Apr 23 12:17:44 UTC 2004

Gary Waters wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I changed my motherboard, CPU, and Videocard. I previously posted my
>intentions and queried as to whether or not Fedora would survive the
>transition, which it did....with flying colors. However, windows XP did
>NOT. I'm now looking to repair or reinstall XP so my daughter won't
>drive me nuts over not being able to play her games.
>
>Could somebody point me to a FAQ on how to do this and restore grub? The
>man pages are somewhat vague. I really don't want to lose this fedora
>installation. I spent a lot of time fine-tuning it. I did some googling
>on the matter, but I would feel much more secure with whatever
>suggestions this list has to offer. Thanks.
>
>Gary

The following makes these assumptions.
a.  XP was installed on /dev/hda, and that fedora is elsewhere.
b.  you used grub to boot XP.
c.  grub is on the MBR.

1.  Boot with Fedora
2.  save the MBR
# dd if=/dev/hda of=/path_to/mbr.img bs=512 count=1
3. reinstall XP
4. boot with knoppix
5. mount the drive where you saved the mbr record
6  restore the saved MBR
# dd if=/moun_path_to/mbr.img of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
7. reboot to fedora.

There are of course, other options, such as making a boot floppy, do the
reinstall of XP, then boot back to fedora from the floppy and doing
grub-install etc.