Create a boot cd instead of a boot floppy

Fri Apr 23 14:44:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 22:59, Law Horne wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to make a boot cd for Fedora that would act
> just like a boot floppy? For instance the one that you are asked if you
> want to create after fedora finishes it's install. I don't want to have
> grub overwrite my MBR for windows. So that I don't have to install grub
> at all and when I want to boot linux I just pop in a cd. If not, just
> leave it out. The main reason I ask is due to the fact that I do not
> have a floppy drive on my PC.
>
> Thanks, Law
>
> P.S. Is there a way to do it within windows. Since at this time I do not
> have linux installed.

An alternative would be to write grub on the boot partition rather than
the MBR and use the Windoze boot loader to get to it.  Personally, I
prefer to overwrite the MBR and configure grub to fool Windows later.

You may also want to review some of the recent threads on the
fedora-test-list, such as the one from early April on "Dual boot FC2T2
and WinXP", for potential issues and work-arounds.

Phil