Samba fstab

Adam T. Gautier adam_gautier at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 16:40:11 UTC 2004

I am trying to add a line /etc/fstab that is a Samba mount of a windows
share.

/etc/fstab
//192.168.2.101/movies  /mnt/movies             smbfs
noauto,user,user,username=guest,password=password 0 0
(All on one line, can't help the line wrap in email)

sudo mount /mnt/movies works fine but when I right click in the Gnome
desktop or try to do the mount as a regular user I get:

smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)
smbmnt failed: 1

How do I fix this so I can do smb mounts as a user?  Would't setuid be a
big security hole? I can mount a cdrom as a user no problem, does this
us setuid?

Thanks