Problem with Fedora1 and ipop3d

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Fri Apr 23 16:35:12 UTC 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 06:40, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 23.04.2004 schrieb Brian Edginton um 13:31:
> > > Why does the SystemLogger keep telling me /var/spool/mail folder has to
> > > have access 777?
> >
> > Sorry, I came into this converstation a bit late.
> >
> > I believe that you are actually being told to chmod the directory to
> > 1777. This sets the sticky bit on the directory.
> >
> > I know that courier (an MTA) wants the mail spool set this way, I'm not
> > sure about any other MTA's. It actually makes sense.
> >
> > edge

> And again:
>
> That is no default Fedora Core 1 behaviour, to state the need for
> /var/spool/mail having chmod 1777! Those permissions set was never
> necessary even on previous Redhat releases. Again: there must be
> something incorrect causing such an error message.
>
> Alexander

That is the impression that I have as well.  I check all my systems (2 FC1 and
2 RH7.3) and they all have the same permissions, but both my FC1 systems are
giving me the message?  In the System Logger (/var/log/maillog), the error is
listed as coming from the ipop3d.  That is why I suspect the problem to be
coming from there.  Unfortunately that is as far as my knowledge will take me
at this time.  So I turn to great people like you for help.

And thank you again for all the efforts you've made to support me.