Motherboard Change- will Fedora survive?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 23 20:00:35 UTC 2004

Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 19:44, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
>>yeah it should work. The fedora kernel has drivers for all the relevant
>>bits... I recently made the switch from an intel 815 pIII-933
>>mainboard/processor in my primary machine to a althon 64 3000+ on a msi
>>kt8neo fisr and it was flawless on first boot.
>
> Didn't it have an CPU-specific kernel?

Athlon/Athlon 64s will run a 686 kernel.  Not as fast as an Athlon-
specific kernel, but it'll run.  I don't think you can run an Athlon
kernel on a 686, though.

> e.g. with an install on an athlon system, one gets an athlon kernel
> which doesn't work on pentium.
> Is there a way to force a 686-kernel at install time?

Not that I know of.  I think anaconda installs the appropriate kernel
for the processor it sees.
-         "OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't TOUCH anything!"         -