Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 24 23:00:29 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks said:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:43:56 -0400
> Craig Thomas <cjtinhp at optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 10:48, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
>> > It's beside the point because all that matters is the end result.
>> > There
>> > are a lot of factors that make up a "Linux experience" for a user.
>
>> And I would argue that a home user reading the article comes away with
>> the impression that Linux is not for them because it fails to work with,
>> for instance, their modem.  When the reason their modem doesn't work
>> with Linux is because it's manufacturer didn't see fit to release a
>> compatible driver.  How's this for an end result?
>>

> It may very well be the end result for someone. And in the end, it is a
> problem for Linux. Regardless of whom you feel is ultimately responsible
> it may only be a problem if the person chooses Linux. They may very well
> get their modem to work if they choose a different operating system.

So if you buy a copy of Windows XP and your modem manufacture doesn't
provide drivers, that means Windows XP is not for you?  No, it means that
you need to be careful checking your hardware compatibility.

As I've mentioned before, Mr. Langa fails on two points:
1) He provides no specifics (that I've seen) of what hardware he is
talking about.
2) He seems to be hung up on the closed-source support structure.  In
other words his attempt at a solution is to call the support line, not
check out what experience others have had with similar hardware, or ask
for support on a mailing list.

--
William Hooper